The atgof website

Friday, February 26, 2010

Alice at the Bates Hotel

There's an Alice in Wonderland Centre in Llandudno in north Wales (aside - I used to love the old railway poster, extolling Llandudno as "the Naples of the North"). Why? Because Alice Liddell, the little girl who inspired the book, used to stay there with her family, in a holiday home built by her father, Henry. The house became a hotel, and was to be - or has, I don't know, been demolished. There's a lovely picture of the house here, on the Daily Post website. Please take a peek.



















You'll see from the picture that the house is more Bates Hotel than cutsey rabbit hole.









The British Library (surely they're not piggy-backing on Alice-hype ;-) have an Alice exhibition. An Alice event. An "Alice Gallery" open until June?

Which brings me in a round-about way to the new 3D Alice blockbuster-to-be by Tim Burton, which I'm looking forward very much to seeing - will Alice be miss Bates or miss Cutey? In the meantime, as I await the Aberystwyth premiere, I'll amuse myself with this 1903 film adaptation restored by the bfi.

No comments:

Post a Comment