The atgof website

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Photo of the day

Albertina Wien - archif ffilm rownd yr ochr.

The photo is of Albertina in Wien.

On a trip to Vienna, a while back, I spent some hours trying to find the world's oldest sound archive, the Phonogrammarchiv (part of the Austrian Academy of Sciences). As I'd been there before, I was sure I could find it without a detailed map, but when I found myself, with aching feet, back where I'd started, I gave up and shuffled off to find the cinematheque / Austrian Film Museum (what a silly way to spend one's holiday). I found it eventually, just around the corner from where this photo was taken. Unfortunately, there wasn't much to see, except for a security guard and receptionist. There were film screenings, yes, but no artefacts on display.

I thought to myself, what a waste of a whole day - a holiday day at that, but as I wandered around the corner, all was salvaged by this glorious, regal view. I did take a snap of the outside of the film museum (a very nice, but rather unphotogenic door, as seen in this review - not my picture, note), but somehow this is the picture of Albertina which reminds me of the trek. And it's far less boring than a door.

No comments:

Post a Comment